Partnership with Brooklands and Timbercroft
Tiffany Beck and Jo Watkins - the Chairs of Governors of Millennium and Brooklands working together at the 2014 Governors' Conference
Millennium, Brooklands and Timbercroft Partnership
Millennium, Brooklands and Timbercroft are now all working in partnership under the leadership of executive headteacher, Nick Osborne. Each school has its own Head of School - here at Millennium, we have Joanna Gledhill.
Millennium joined forces with the outstanding Brooklands in January 2013, and since then this highly effective collaboration has helped Millennium make the rapid improvement to Outstanding.
Millennium is now an incredibly strong school in its own right with outstanding teaching throughout the school.
How does the partnership work?
All three schools have their own identities and are separate schools; however, we share an Executive Headteacher and have similar visions and values. There is a great deal of collaboration behind the scenes. This helps us to benchmark our standards and work together to improve teaching and learning for all the children.
How do the schools work together?
In order to keep making progress as a school, the key area to focus on is teaching and learning, so a lot of the work behind the scenes is dedicated to supporting and developing staff across all areas of the school.
Here are some of the ways in which we work together:
- Joint training
- Teachers observe Outstanding teaching in the partner schools
- Joint planning – teachers share how they plan their learning
- Joint monitoring- The leadership team regularly monitor the quality of learning in books. We do this across the entire school, but we also look at our partner schools’ books to help benchmark standards. We look to see what we can learn from the other schools' books. Are our expectations high enough and is the quality of our feedback good enough?
- Shared resources
- Subject leaders work together across the schools to support each other in the teaching of all the specific subjects such as English and Maths
- Our governors are now working closely together so that we can support and challenge each other to raise standards across all 3 schools
- At the end of each term our children compete against each other in sports events - this gives the children the experience of competition and gives them targets to aim for during PE sessions
What is the impact of the partnership?
Millennium has improved dramatically over the past 2 years and is one of the highest achieving schools in the country for our children's progress (top 6% overall, top 2% reading). Brooklands continues to be an outstanding school and is now learning from our fantastic staff here at Millennium. As well as helping to raise standards across both schools, the partnership has enabled both schools to make financial savings whilst at the same time improving practice. We are now sharing our expertise with Timbercroft as well.
How is Timbercroft involved?
Timbercroft School joined the Millennium and Brooklands partnership in November 2014. Its staff is already getting the opportunity to learn alongside the Millennium and Brooklands teams. We have had a number of joint training sessions and teachers regularly meet to plan exciting topics and projects together.
Millennium & Brooklands Governors at Pupil Premium training